Monday, January 25, 2016

Here be dragons, beginning color

If you review the earlier posts you'll see the evolution of my palettes, evolution of my style with my selfies and more importantly the list of web resources on Art.

When I began this journey in 2010 my goal was to learn to paint a realist figure using watercolor paint.  I wanted the paint to be transparent and to achieve their final color through overlapping layers of paint.  I later learned about glazing. I want my final palette to be the same across binders.  The binder is the substance that holds the pigment together, Gum Arabic for watercolor, GAC for acrylic.  Allow me to remind you, my final goal "famous artist" is not to be a realistic figure or portrait painter. Rather I see the ability to create a realistic figure to be a test of ability, a litmus test. What I plan to do is a form of abstraction, but more about that later.

All new painters make the same assumptions

  • The basic colors, AKA primary colors are a triad
  • You go to the store and buy a bunch of colors and smear them around and you're done
  • The store has competent advice
  • The manufacturers all produce the same color, Cadmium Red Medium, for example, is the same from manufacturer to manufacturer.


Consider this painting, my first for 2016.  The colors are: Titanium White, Bone Black (Yes they're colors) three blues, Yellow Ochre, Vermillion, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Cadmium Yellow light, Cadmium Red Medium and Cadmium Yellow full.

When you look at the painting and try to count the colors you will count more colors than those listed above.  Obviously, you are sophisticated and realize that in order to achieve color harmony blending the colors listed above will provide a harmonious palette and add to the quality of the final product.

As to the four assumptions, all are incorrect.  When it comes to color all of the names are incorrect.  More gently, my ultramarine blue is PB29, yours may not be.  Go ahead and check.


As to the four assumptions, all four are incorrect.  There are 5 primary colors, 7 counting Black and White, PBlk11 and PW6 specifically.



No comments:

Post a Comment