Monday, February 1, 2016

Buying pigment

If you've sloughed through all of my ramblings on color you should be ready to buy paint.  Let me recap.  I want true colors that are: reproducible, in other words my black is PBlk11 regardless of the brand I purchase, transparent and lightfast. I want to be able to make a watercolor palette, a egg tempera palette and an acrylic palette. I'd love the pigment to be available in tubes for watercolor and acrylic and ground and in suspension for egg tempera. I favor American products.  Please look back to my earlier post on my palette experiments to see the pigments I'm planning to use.

It seems to be a long standing belief that natural colors, NBlk11, made from ground burnt bones is a better way, a more natural way to have the perfect color.  I've experimented with natural pigments, while they are historically fun to use, it doesn't meet my needs.

An astute reader will point out that my demands for are bizarre, well Bunky here's another twist I want the pigment to be available in silk embroidery floche and 2mm silk ribbon!  Practically, my needs are impossible and can only be met if I mix my own pigments.  The next series of posts will be my experiments with mixing stuff.

I've researched these manufacturers and they're a great start to meet my demand of CI ASTM standards and availability

Daniel Smith, WA
A lovely website DS doesn't have my exact palette, but I'm certain that I can make a decent watercolor palette.
Gamblin, OR
I have experimented with their dry pigment and they're great.  I can make a watercolor and acrylic palette from their materials, but I would need to find different hues.
Guerra, NYC
An in-your-face website, with wonderful telephone support.  Guerra has all that I need to make my own palette and I'm planning on ordering shortly.  BTW my order for my hues plus binders will be $150.

I do not know these manufacturers, but my investigation suggests that their pigments meet my standards
Earth Pigments, AZ
RGH, NY
Kremer, NYC
Robertson, UK
Kroma, CAN

These manufacturers, I'm certain do meet the standards, but I'll be damned it's difficult to find.

Holbein, JAPAN
I use the Holbein enameled aluminium palette and their watercolors in my 2015 palette.  The Antique White is fantastic for the Zorn portrait colors.
Sennelier, FR
Used in my 2015 palette.
M. Graham, USA
Used in my 2015 palette.
Sinopia, CA
I do not know this natural pigment company
Stevenson, CAN
Their online catalog is excellent, but I do not know them.
Binders, GA
I do not know this firm.
Natural Pigments, CA
Used in an earlier palette, very nice people.




No comments:

Post a Comment